Steering Committee October 2005 Report

Southern Region IPM Center Steering Committee Meeting Report

October 28, 2005 Raleigh, North Carolina

Attending:

John Anderson, Harold Coble, Ames Herbert, Jennifer Hodorowicz, Steve Hopkins, Jimo Ibrahim, Norm Leppla, Pat O’Leary, Ples Spradley, Gary Thompson, Steve Toth, Jim VanKirk, Eric Young

Friday, October 28, 2005

Welcome and introductions

  • Update from October 19 th Advisory Council (AC) meeting (link to AC Meeting Report)
    • AC suggests the Centers create one-page impact statements to bring to Congress
    • Suggested limiting funding and placing a time limit on the funds in the IPM Enhancement Grants program (more on this later)
    • AC advised the Center to make the PMAP priorities not commodity based and suggested rewording the sixth priority. (link to current PMAP priorities)
    • AC suggested a rotation of 1/3 of the council every year. Also suggested inviting master gardeners into the council and continued recruitment efforts.

Federal Update – Mike Fitzner

  • Hired Elbert Dickie as an IPA with a one year shared appointment.
  • Budget news is better than they originally thought as an agency. Looks like a 2.7 percent increase as a whole for the agency. IPM Centers are at about the same level of funding as last year.
  • Soybean Rust was a great public relations opportunity for the Centers and was a great success for the Centers. Need to consider the Center’s role in future challenges such as soybean rust (e.g. citrus greening).
  • Future opportunities and role of the Center:
    • The Center needs to be better able than the existing system to address emerging issues, but the Center also needs to have the role of maintaining the infrastructure to deal with routine issues.
    • The Center helps funnel up through CSREES to get the information to the right people and let them know what the Center is doing to help solve the problem.
    • Main function of the Center is to help organize and bring together the right people at the right time.

Methyl Bromide Update

  • The Southern Region IPM Center may receive a proposal requesting support to convene a meeting of regional and national experts to prepare a research plan to help the country ham industry reduce its dependence on methyl bromide. SRIPMC may host the aforementioned meeting and assist with the travel costs of select regional and national experts. Hoping to host the meeting before Christmas.
  • The Center should look into creating a template for how we react to certain problems and issues so that we have a system or guidance document in place. The document needs to include information for decisions made within the Center and within the protocol and decisions that Jim makes on his own.
    • Motion – That the Center director and staff develop a protocol including a template for the justification and handling of time sensitive issues that require Center support or services. Set a deadline for the end of the 2005 calendar year.

PIPE - National Legume Risk Management Tool Development Project (link to budget narrative)

  • When asked if the Center should have a policy on dealing with invasive species, the general consensus is that the Center should have a policy on how we deal with IPM and how we prioritize things.
  • In addition to the PIPE project, Jim suggests that Center staff work actively to make a small push with our stakeholders and send them a message reminding them that we are here to help and reminding them of the types of things we can do and the types of programs we can help with. This includes trying to work more with APHIS and getting onto the Southern Director’s agenda.

Report on State Contacts (link to report)

Expertise Database

  • Center staff suggests the state contacts be responsible for updating and maintaining the expertise database for their state on a yearly basis. This will need to be included into the RFA as a function.

IPM Enhancement Grants RFA

  • Current categories:
    • IPM Documents (PMSPs, Crop Profiles, IPM Priorities workshop)
    • Critical Issues (time sensitive issues)
    • State Contacts
    • Special Projects
  • Need to set limits of content, time and money for IPM Enhancement Grants
  • Need to support timeliness in IPM Documents and possibly make a statement that these are in support of the IPM roadmap.
  • Critical and Emerging Issues – we will leave 30K aside for time sensitive issues, and we need to direct people in the RFA to the new protocols and RFA that will reside online.
  • State Contacts – we received a lot of suggestions for the State Contact program, but the Steering Committee resolvedCenter staff to tinker with the State Contacts program for the upcoming RFA and examine the duties and responsibilities for future RFAs. With tinker = Center staff will develop the RFA separate and share with the steering committee for additional feedback.
  • Special Projects – suggest a limit of $25-30K per project. Motion passed to pursue limited funding for special projects in the RFA and Center staff will share the draft with the steering committee and gain feedback.

PMAP Priorities (link)

  • Center staff will modify priority six so that it is no longer commodity specific.

S-RIPM (link)

  • Deadline December 7, must be submitted electronically. There is an IPM evaluation project type available in the RFA.

Foundation Funds Update

  • No update, still on the docket.

1890s Meeting Update

  • Need to move the 1890s meeting up on the priority list.
  • Jim will contact the subcommittee (Jim VanKirk, Mike Fitzner, Jimo Ibrahim, Roy Bullock, Eric Young and Jennifer Hodorowicz) and will set a conference call by the first of December.
  • Need to add Norm Leppla and Steve Hopkins to this subcommittee.

 

Southern Region IPM Center Steering Conference Call Report

November 8, 2005 10:00 a.m.

Participants on the call:

John Anderson, Mike Fitzner, Ames Herbert, Jennifer Hodorowicz, Norm Leppla, Pat O’Leary, Ples Spradley, Gary Thompson, Steve Toth, Jim VanKirk, Eric Young

Quorum attendance reached.

Publications

  • The Center recently moved Southern Exposure to a quarterly publication, and has published two quarterly editions thus far including the September issue. We will continue with the quarterly time line with editions being distributed in January, April, July and October.
  • In addition to the quarterly newsletter, the Center implemented NewsFlash, which is currently updated on average once a week. After the IT meeting held in Raleigh in July, Center staff is working with the Northeastern IPM Center to implement compatible technology with On Target and therefore integrate our efforts nationally.
  • Center staff is working with Ames Herbert in the distribution of the Mid-Atlantic Guides.
  • Fire Ant Publication – Center is looking to get up to 30,000 copies ordered. Need to spread the word that these are available and if you know someone that could use them please let them know about it.

 Reporting System Update

  • Last spring the Advisory Council and Steering Committee directed us to create a system for accountability on grant reporting. We currently have some templates prepared and are working to make these computerized.

 Mid-term Center Review

  • The Center will have a mid-term review in February 2006, and all four regional Centers will be reviewed at the same time in Washington DC.
  • There will be a short survey sent to all Advisory Council and Steering Committee members, and to all IPM Coordinators and State Contacts. Please make sure you complete this survey.

Update on 1890s Meeting

  • Jim e-mailed the subcommittee responsible for this meeting to try to set a conference call. Will continue to move forward with planning the meeting.
  • Subcommittee originally charged with investigating a meeting for SRIPMC to present itself to 1890s representatives. This committee has been expanded to include Norm Leppla, Steve Hopkins, and the regional research and Extension executive directors for the 1890s. The group will address the broader issue of ways SRIPMC should engage with 1890s.

 Methyl Bromide Update

  • The Southern Region IPM Center may receive a proposal requesting support to convene a meeting of regional and national experts to prepare a research plan to help the country ham industry reduce its dependence on methyl bromide. SRIPMC may host the aforementioned meeting and assist with the travel costs of select regional and national experts. Hoping to host the meeting before Christmas.
  • Suggested to the Steering Committee that the staff would like to approve the proposal with $5,500 set as a cap on the meeting.
  • Motion to accept this approval. Motion seconded and approved.

Scheduling of Meetings

  • Suggest we have a mid-winter (January) and mid-summer (July) meeting so that more people can attend.
  • Suggest we piggy back the meeting on the IPM Symposium conference in April.
  • Jim will try to set a Friday or an evening meeting at the Symposium in April and then will try to set an Advisory Council and Steering Committee meeting in July.
  • Agree that these meeting need to be on consecutive days.

 PMAP Priorities

  • Decided that the sixth priority will be deleted because it is commodity specific.

 Advisory Council Membership Guidelines

  • The Advisory Council discussed a turnover of 1/3 of the membership per year. This will be approximately 6-7 people per year.
  • Recommend moving the membership to more of a regional focus rather than North Carolina based.
    • Pat O’Leary recommends a Farm Bureau contact from another state.
  • Recommend keeping at least two State Contacts on the committee at all times.
  • Need to find a representative for an environmental/community organization.
    • John Anderson recommends Ken Smith from the Audubon Society in Arkansas.
  • Steering Committee approves the move to rotate off 1/3 of the Advisory Council.